I love making this soup with bone broth, with all of its healing properties; it’s rich in minerals to support the immune system, and contains collagen to reduce inflammation and repair the gut. Sweet potatoes are full of vitamin A and fibre. Vitamin A helps maintain healthy vision & neurological function. Wow, all of that in one delicious bowl of soup!
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 1/2 lb sweet potato, peeled & chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups stock
- 1/4 cup ghee/butter/coconut oil
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- cinnamon, cilantro & coconut milk or cream to garnish
- Melt fat in a large pot and add onion, sauté for 5 mins. Add garlic and stir. Add sweet potato.
- Cover pot and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock and bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 20 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Puree soup.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- To serve, garnish with coconut milk or cream, cilantro and cinnamon.
Source: Natural Chef Lisa Virtue, virtuenaturalbakery.ca