This recipe can use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, or both! Sunflower seeds are high in selenium and lecithin, while pumpkin seeds are a good source of vegetarian iron and zinc.
Sunflower Seed Pizza Crust
Makes approximately one 10″ pizza.
- 2 cups raw/sprouted sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp seasoning (optional-basil, oregano, onion powder, curry etc)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven at 350F.
- To food processor or high powdered blender, add seeds and grind into fine pieces. Scrape down sides and add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Cut parchment to fit pizza pan. Place dough on top of parchment and place another sheet of parchment on top of the dough. Using your hands or a rolling pin, press dough down and roll out into a circle about 1/4″ thick. Peel away top layer of parchment.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes.
- Add toppings of choice and return pizza to oven for 10-12 minutes. Broil 1-2 minutes to finish.
Source: Mediterranean Paleo Cooking, recipe adapted by Natural Chef Lisa Virtue